Monday, August 17, 2009

Second Life Addiction: It's not just kids!

The following post is from a concerned daughter. It was posted on Yahoo.answers.com.

====================================================================================
Secondlife Addiction?
My mom has been on this Secondlife game for a few years. She now lives and breathes it. I am moved out of the house already, but I am deeply concerned for my 10 year old sister, and 17 year old brother who still live with my parents.

My dad, has pretty much become a single parent, due to this addiction.

Let me give you a little insight to my mother's day.

She will wake up around 11am-12pm (who cares about the kids going to school!!!)
She immediately gets onto the computer, and turns on SecondLife. She stays on there until about 5pm-6pm, when she heads over to her reclining chair, where she sleeps for 3-4 hours. Then as soon as she wakes up, she goes into the kitchen to get dinner that most of the time her children had to cook. Then she sits down at the computer and eats, while talking to her friends there---and ignoring everything going on in the house.
Then she stays in SecondLife until 5AM-6AM

I have witnessed my little sister asking her to go ride her bike at night time....and she said "Yea, Yea!! Go ahead, whatever!!! Leave me alone."

It is really having a toll on the entire family. There is NO time for her husband, her children, or her grandchildren. There is NO time for her own parents who JUST had a horrible accident and are in a nursing home now.

The only time she has, is for the people in second life.

I did not know the severity of this problem until recently, when I was forced to spend a few days at my parents house due to some flooding in my own home.

I was at her house for an entire 24 hours, without her even saying one word to me. She just never noticed that I was there.

It's really upsetting, and I just want help for my poor Dad, and siblings who are pretty much living without a mom.

Any advice?
==================================================================================

No comments:

Post a Comment